It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:30 pm

Post subject: Password encryption.
PostPosted: January 29th, 2016, 2:22 am 

Hello Freddy,
Can the passes for the forums entered in Thema Poster be encrypted? It is kind of open to everyone(when you click on the forums, the user IDs & passes is visible in words instead of *****), specially in RDP with shared folder with Admin. Thanks for the reply.

Post subject: Re: Password encryption
PostPosted: January 29th, 2016, 8:17 am 
Site Admin

Hi,

it's shown for convenience to avoid mistakes when updating / adding user.

RDP should have terms where it says clearly that they respect your privacy. For them it's illegal to do anything with your files or steal your private information. Owners of RDP can't really do that, because you can sue them, it's usually a company.

It's really no different than Firefox / Chrome or other browser where passwords can be saved. Anyone can view them.

PostPosted: January 31st, 2016, 2:51 pm 

Freddy wrote:
It's really no different than Firefox / Chrome or other browser where passwords can be saved. Anyone can view them.

Objection! In FF you can protect this data with a master password so it's not possible to view your password list for others.

Sueing a RDP provider seems pointless if you distribute "certain content". :-)

The real important point for anybody using any shared environment: they aren't secure even if you have such an encryption as most sites I post on don't use SSL yet - that's just an example, there are multiple scenarios where your private data can be easily exposed in shared environments, even VPSs.

Serious VPN providers even reinstall the complete OS on their bare metal systems after an unplanned reboot or power outage - for a reason ;-)

Nevertheless I would appreciate the option to have the data in TP / TM encrypted to make it harder for the lesser advanced "casual finders" to use them. I saw RDPs where I could easily browse other users' directories ... and before you ask: yes, it were paid RDPs.

Wurstmu

PostPosted: February 1st, 2016, 9:36 am 
Site Admin

Wurstmu wrote:
Freddy wrote:

Objection! In FF you can protect this data with a master password so it's not possible to view your password list for others.

Not really :)

FF saves passwords in your profiles folder in the file.

Anyone can open that file and see all the passwords with special tool (even when you have the master password). Those tools are free and can be easily found via Google.

I might hide it in the program, that's the best I could do.

Post subject: Re: Password encryption.
PostPosted: May 20th, 2016, 3:37 am 

I agree with Wurstmu that the passwords should be encrypted. Most RDP providers are not real companies it's just kids that leased a server and play host. I have been with more than 10 different providers and they are all the same, in the end they all screw up in one way or another. I never leave any personal data on a RDP I treat them as it's open to anyone to see all data. So I hate it so much when I leave thema poster running on the RDP with all my accounts and passwords open for anyone to see.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2016, 11:28 am 

What you could do is when you are done posting just pack the Themaposter folder into a encrypted .rar file. Then nobody can see it. IF your password is long enough it will take too long to crack via brute force. Just an option that I have used when I had a shared RDP.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2016, 6:25 pm 

Good Idea, that's how I've done it in the beginning. Even better is a VeraCrypt container that's synced with Dropbox or a similar service :-)

Wurstmu